Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Changing Hats - the writer's prerogative - each hat tells a story



A fellow author said to me “a writer wears many hats” – that made me feel better as recently my writing has taken several twists and turns.
At home in Tasmania - my winter hat
My 2015 New Year’s resolution was to take care of some of the things that have been on the back-burner for years, because every time I start writing a new book that is where they stay. 
So, I decided to take a stand, sift through my archives and address the pieces of writing that had been sadly neglected.  

Hosting a garden party
 In retrospect, perhaps some should have been tossed out with the garbage long ago but who am I to judge. So the plan was to revise, re-edit and publish and let the readers decide. Hopefully, in the end, I will be satisfied that I have cleared the deck before embarking on my next full length novel.

Heading up the Derwent to Hobart
Author seeking inspiration
Boer Goat breeder
After resurrecting some short stories and children’s stories, I have changed hats again and turned to an assortment of articles I had written on goats. These will hopefully go into an e-book covering various aspects of the goat industry including hairy, dairy and commercial goat farming. 

When that is done, I want to revisit the story of an Australian bushranger that has long been waiting to be written. Then I need to write a book on Writing Death. 

When those are out of the way, I can return to Captain Oliver Quintrell and his crew and set sail on another adventure on the high seas but for the moment I will stay with the goat hat.

Graduation ECU Perth
Here are a few of the other hats I have donned over the years.

Bushfire brigade W.A.

 




 




Bow watch - Australian Bight - Bark Europa









Cruising Antarctic waters





Paddler in dragon boat team



There are probably lots more - but that will suffice for the present.

1 comment:

Luccia Gray at Rereading Jane Eyre said...

Lovely hats! Thanks for sharing:)